Purina Petcare, Europe’s leading pet care company, is donating 1 million pet food pouches from its Felix and Gourmet ranges to Community Shop, a social enterprise supermarket, which sells food to its members at heavily discounted prices.
It comes at a time when support for pet owners is more important than ever and will help to feed much-loved pets in families who are on the cusp of food poverty, while making sure that perfectly good products don’t go to waste.
Purina has donated to Community Shop in the past, most notably during the COVID-19 pandemic, but this is their biggest donation to date.
Andrew Leitch, Supply Chain Director, Purina UK, said: “We know that many people are struggling at the moment and this, of course, includes pet owners. We also know how vital the companionship of our pets can be and what a positive impact our bonds with them can have on mental and physical wellbeing, especially at times of stress and crisis.
"That’s why we’re delighted to be able to make this donation to Community Shop in the hope we can help more families and pets stay together and stay happy and healthy during these difficult times."
Steph McGinty, Group Managing Director for Community Shop, said: “This donation will make a huge difference to so many of our members, who are not only struggling to feed themselves and their families, but also their beloved pets.
“After Purina’s previous donation, during the pandemic, we received a huge amount of feedback about the positive impact of having such a strong supply of heavily discounted pet food made to members. Pets are family and we’re delighted that we can do more to support families with this very welcome food supply.”
Notes to editors:
The donation from Purina is made up of products which have got too close to their ‘Use By’ dates for retailers to sell through normal channels, but whose quality and safety remain in line with Purina’s usual incredibly high standards.
About Community Shop
• Community Shop is an award-winning social enterprise and the UK's first social supermarket chain. It was founded in 2013 by the country's largest redistribution organisation, Company Shop Group.
• Community Shop helps to build stronger individuals and more confident communities by providing thousands of individuals and families with access to high-quality and heavily discounted food and products, alongside offering life-changing personal development support.
• Membership to Community Shop is open to those who live locally and receive welfare support and are motivated to make a positive difference to their lives. It provides immediate food access and support to those who need it most but can often afford it least.
• It operates a network of 10 deep-impact social supermarket, including in London, South Yorkshire, Northeast Lincolnshire and the North West.
• Members saved £212 on average on food per month by shopping at Community Shop.
• 6,259 households have engaged with Community Shop over the last five years.
• Find out more about Community Shop here.