To Press Releases listOct 20, 2016
Today, to mark International Chefs Day, Nestlé UK are running #ARTONAPLATE cookery workshops in schools to raise awareness of healthy cooking and eating amongst school children.
As part of Nestlé UK’s Healthy Kids Programme, approx. 60 students from Clifton with Rawcliffe Primary School in York and Kingmoor Junior School in Cumbria will take part in fun, interactive cookery workshops led by chefs from Nestlé Professional. Challenging students to turn simple, healthy recipes into edible ‘Art on a Plate’, making healthy eating fun and interactive.
These lessons will involve children in the cooking and preparation of meals which is a great way to ensure good eating habits are established early on. Encouraging children to be creative with food allows them to be adventurous and discover new foods they may otherwise avoid.
The Nestlé Healthy Kids Programme forms part of Nestlé’s Global commitment to promote children’s nutrition, health and wellbeing. Through the Nestlé UK Healthy Kids Programme and our partnership with PhunkyFoods and Worldchefs, Nestlé’s aim is to raise children’s awareness and understanding of the importance of healthy eating and taking part in physical activity.
All children taking part in the workshops will receive recipe cards to take home and keep so that they can prepare the meals with their families.
Speaking about the workshops, Steve Oram, Chef Coordinator at Nestlé Professional
“I am delighted to be taking part in today’s activities. A healthy diet is crucial for children’s growth and development and it all starts with raising an awareness from an early age. It is for this reason that we are celebrating International Chefs Day and the important role that preparing and cooking healthier family meals plays.”
Notes to Editors
1. Since 2012, Nestlé UK has partnered with PhunkyFoods, an organisation that helps schools to teach children about healthy eating as part of our Healthy Kids Programme. For more information, please visit http://www.phunkyfoods.co.uk/phunky-consortium/
- Since 2012 Nestlé Healthy Kids (NHK) UK have funded the PhunkyFoods Programme for 316 primary schools around their 7 factory sites across the UK (Crawley, Tutbury, Halifax, York, Dalston (Cumbria), Fawdon, Girvan)
- Since 2012 more than 86,000 children have been reached by the PhunkyFoods Programme across the UK, through NHK funded schools
- Since 2012 NHK has funded the training of 722 teachers and teaching assistants to enable the delivery the PhunkyFoods healthy lifestyle messages and activities in partner primary schools
- Since 2012 the PhunkyFoods Programme have delivered 128 parent healthy lifestyle events to over 900 parents through NHK funded schools
2. For more information on the Nestlé Global Healthy Kids Programme, please visit: www.nestle.com/csv/individuals-families/nutrition-education/healthy-kids-programme