Nestlé Professional today launches its hotly anticipated Toque d’Or 2021 competition with a new format and even more opportunities for aspiring hospitality professionals to get involved.
Submissions are being accepted from today (26th February 2021) and will close on 16th March 2021.
Launched in 1988, Toque d’Or was born out of a passion for hospitality excellence, designed to inspire the next generation and to provide opportunities to further their knowledge within the hospitality industry. The competition aims to educate and test entrants in both practical, service-based and business-focused tasks, concentrating on key areas such as social media promotion, business management and sustainable food and drink.
Toque d’Or evolves every year – and this year the competition requires more resilience and adaptability than ever before, due to the changing needs of the UK & Ireland’s foodservice industry and education as a direct result of the pandemic.
New for 2021:
- Toque d’Or recognises the increasing importance of community and inclusiveness and has therefore opened the competition to young Front and Back of House professionals (commis chefs / waiters and equivalent) as well as college students and apprentices.
- It has adapted the competition timeline to be in line with college courses, making it easier for lecturers to support students in the process, and to provide the best opportunity to hold the finals and awards face-to-face.
- It will be retaining a strong digital element as the world moves more online - due to the continued COVID-19 restrictions.
While previously the competition entry task consisted of a practical assignment, due to the pandemic, participants will be asked to complete a virtual assessment this year. Competitors will receive links to reading material on the topics of sustainability and nutrition, and the task is to complete a set of multiple-choice questions on 18th March 2021 between 8:00am and 11:59pm.
In addition to this, competitors will be asked to complete a one-minute selfie-style video explaining why they are passionate about hospitality and why they should be selected as 2021 Toque d’Or contestants.
Katya Simmons, Managing Director of Nestlé Professional UK&I, says: "I am absolutely delighted to announce the new 2021 Toque d’Or competition entry format."
"Our aim has always been to support the next generation and provide them with the opportunity to learn and grow in their career. Changing the format of the entry task to one that is virtual ensures that the competition remains accessible to all aspiring professionals. I’m excited about what the 2021 competition has to offer and wish all those entering the best of luck."
MasterChef winner (2014) Louisa Ellis and educator and drinks expert Alison Taffs have been selected as judges for the heats this year. Both judges will lend their expertise to a cohort of up to 320 youngsters throughout the heats when the competition kicks off in March.
- Registration deadline – Tuesday 16th March 2021
- Virtual assessment – Thursday 18th March 2021
- Heat task communicated – Friday 26th March 2021
- Virtual cooking challenge to take place – Thursday 15th April 2021
- Finalists announced – Friday 30th April 2021
- Grand finals hosted – w/c Monday 28th June 2021
- Awards (on the last day of the finals) - w/c Monday 28th June 2021
- Awards broadcast – July 2021 (actual date TBC)
To register, and for more information, please visit https://www.nestleprofessional.co.uk/toque-dor.